Sunday, September 14, 2014

The Top Four Broadway Musicals According to Me

I just spoke with my mom on the phone and she confirmed that my family would be going to New York City for Christmas this year! I had the privilege of going to NYC last fall with the Ohio Northern Marching Band, but that was only for a few days. This is going to be for a whole week!

My mom also gave me an informal assignment of deciding which Broadway shows we would see. So, to help me make a decision, I will be determining the Top Four musicals currently running on Broadway, based on their cast recording and the current cast.

Les Miserables- Cast Recording: 6/10, Cast: 8/10
Although there is not a cast recording of this revival of Les Miserables, the music is truly incredible. This is arguably the most star-studded cast on Broadway right now. Ramin Karimloo, Caissie Levy, Nikki M. James, Andy Mientus, and Keala Settle are the reasons why I would love to see this revival.

Matilda- Cast Recording: 9/10, Cast: 6/10
Tim Minchin, the music director of Matilda, is a genius. Matilda’s cast recording is one of the best in recent Broadway history. The charming melodies and quirky lyrics come together beautifully. The only two reasons I would love to see this musical is Christopher Sieber in the role of Miss Trunchbull and the hilarious Lesli Margherita in the role of Mrs. Wormwood.

Aladdin- Cast Recording: 9/10, Cast: 8/10
This cast recording is one of my favorites! I am a huge fan of the movie; so hearing these songs again brought me back to my childhood. Adam Jacobs, Courtney Reed and James Monroe Iglehart are very charismatic in their roles as Aladdin, Jasmine and the Genie, respectively from what I’ve seen from clips of the show.

Kinky Boots- Cast Recording: 10/10, Cast: 10/10
Andy Kelso, Billy Porter and the cast of Kinky Boots
If you can’t tell by my score, I really want to see this show! The cast recording is so catchy because Cyndi Lauper did the music. Billy Porter plays the title role, Lola, and is a powerhouse voice.  This musical is all about accepting others and is definitely a show just my mom and I would see. Not sure how my brother and dad would feel about seeing guys in drag and heels. 



I am crossing my fingers I get to see Kinky Boots while in New York. I’m excited for this trip and the other sights my family will see when we are there! What are your favorite things to do in NYC?

1 comment:

  1. Kinky Boots has my vote...among lots other things to do in NYC!!

    ReplyDelete