Saturday, September 27, 2014

A+ for PTX

The latest album I have been jamming to is Pentatonix’s new CD PTX Vol. III. I have been a huge fan of Pentatonix since their first album’s release. Their music is so unique and so catchy. For those of you unfamiliar with Pentatonix, the band is an a capella group made up of Mitch Grassi, Scott Hoying, Kirstie Maldonado, Avi Kaplan and Kevin Olusola. They competed in NBC’s “The Sing-Off” in 2011 and have since then exploded in the music scene.

The last two CD’s have had a couple good songs, but overall the whole thing did not impress me. That is not the case for this new release. All seven of the songs on this album are fantastic! Each of the tracks is different from the last, which keeps the album interesting.


The first track is a cover of Ariana Grande’s “Problem” (music video above). This is a strong start to the album and I love when Grassi lays down Iggy Azalea’s rap. The second track, “On My Way Home,” is my favorite on the album. It has a very worldly feel to it. Pentatonix has even said they would love to sing it with a children’s choir some day. La La Latch,” a mashup of Sam Smith, Disclosure and Naughty Boy songs, is next. At first, I was not a fan of this song. But, the more I listen to it; the song is definitely growing on me.

Pentatonix covers Clean Bandit’s “Rather Be” next. This song features Maldonado and I can see why. It is perfect for her vocal range. “See Through” is one of Pentatonix’s original songs and features the whole band’s strengths: Grassi’s high notes, Kaplan’s very low register, Olusola’s beatboxing, Hoying’s smooth voice and Maldonado’s rhythm. Violinist Lindsey Stirling joins the band to cover a French artist’s song called “Papaoutai.” Although the music video is a little weird, the song is super catchy, even though I can’t understand the lyrics. The mellow jam “Standing By” closes out the album. Kaplan is featured on this song and it is so refreshing to hear him sing rather than just sing the bass line.

I would highly encourage anyone and everyone to listen to this album. Die-hard Pentatonix fans will be proud and new fans will be thoroughly impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment