Sunday, September 21, 2014

One of My Firsts

I had a pretty unique experience yesterday- I was able to sit and watch a parade. You might be thinking Kelly, you’ve never actually watched a parade? Besides the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade on TV, that is unfortunately correct. I have always been in the parade.

I was in many parades with my baton-twirling group leading up to high school. We did Fourth of July, Christmas and Labor Day parades. Sometimes we even twirled fire in the night parades!

For three years of high school I had to be in parades with the marching band. The coolest parade during high school was when we went to Disney World and got to march down Main Street in Magic Kingdom.

2014 Harvest and Herb Festival- ONUMB Drumline
I thought the parades would let up when I got to college, but I was totally wrong. With the Ohio Northern University marching band we always had to march in the Harvest and Herb Festival parade and the Homecoming parade. I also marched in a Thanksgiving parade at Disney Land and a Columbus Day parade in New York City with the ONU marching band.

Since I am not in marching band this year, I realized I would be able to watch the Harvest and Herb Festival parade. And that is exactly what I did. I felt like the ultimate ‘townie’ bringing my lawn chair to Main Street and watching the parade.

It was definitely a different experience being on the other side of the parade. There were a lot of little kids around me more concerned with what pieces of candy they would pick up rather than the actual parade. I secretly wished I had brought a plastic shopping bag to grab some candy for myself!


I’m glad I got to experience a ‘first’ of mine this weekend and see my marching band friends in the same position I was in before.

3 comments:

  1. Kelly, I am extremely excited for you! Everyone should be able to enjoy a parade a time or two in their life. I was also at the Harvest and Herb Festival this past weekend and I caught the tail end of the parade. I saw the little girls throwing their batons. Did this take you back at all? Congratulations on watching your first parade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parades are so much fun, my senior year in high school I helped put on my towns annual Halloween parade. I was apart of DECA and helping make a parade is a whole lot more work than you would think. Seeing the final result is amazing though and being the final float is even better seeing all the smiling face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dad and I watched all those parades from the sideline as very proud parents no matter the weather! Some of them took place in the heat of a summer's day, while others were in the winter with snow on the ground! I remember one where you had to dodge the cicadas and fight them off with your baton! Great memories! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete