Saturday, September 6, 2014

Good. Betterer. Best.

Roger Federer is the best tennis player in the world. I might go so far as to say he is the best athlete in the world. His ATP tennis ranking may not reflect it, but Roger Federer has been #1 in tennis fans’ hearts for over two decades.

I had the pleasure of briefly meeting Federer during my summer internship. As I’ve said before, I worked in credentials, so each player had to come in our trailer and get their credential. Well, some players think they are too good to come in, but Federer is not like that. He did exactly what he had to do and even carried on a conversation with the other interns and I. His “entourage” was very pleasant as well. Obviously, Federer made a great first impression on me.  

I also got to watch most of his matches during the tournament. I have never seen an athlete play with that much poise, professionalism and power. He always took control of the match. It is so fun to watch him play.

Federer went on to win the entire tournament in a match against David Ferrer. He claimed his record sixth title at Cincinnati. The match was very exciting and I am glad that Federer was able to pull out a win.

Roger Federer after his win against Monfils
More recently in the U.S. Open, Federer faced Gael Monfils in a Quarterfinal match. This match lasted about three and a half hours. Here is a video recap of the match. Even though Federer lost the first two sets, he kept his cool and won the next three. Throughout the whole match Federer did not show his anger, though he must have been exhausted. He has a drive that is unmatched in the tennis world. 

In addition to being an amazing tennis player, Federer can speak six languages, maintains his charity The Roger Federer Foundation and is a father of two sets of twins (girls Charlene and Myla and boys Leo and Lenny). Nike, who features his “Betterer” shirt (playing off his last name), also sponsors him.

I am looking forward to watching Federer in his next U.S. Open match against Marin Cilic. I am crossing my fingers Federer can prevail against Cilic and make his way to the U.S. Open final match!


Roger Federer is the most well rounded athlete in the business. He is also one of my newest role models because of his true professionalism and poise. Who is your role model and why do you look up to them?

No comments:

Post a Comment