Monday, October 27, 2014

Wind Orchestra, Symphony Orchestra and Chamber Groups, Oh My!

About a third of my time here at ONU has been spent with a bassoon in my hands. And that’s because I’ve been a part of the Wind Orchestra, Symphony Orchestra and other chamber groups since my freshman year.

Yesterday I played my 10th concert with ONU’s Wind Orchestra. We played a whole program of Russian music, featuring works from Shostakovich, Prokofiev and Gliere. The ensemble had been preparing for this concert since the beginning of the semester. I think it’s safe to say that our hard work paid off from the comments I heard in the lobby afterward.

Being a part of these ensembles has taught me how to better manage my time. I usually have rehearsals at night, so I have to plan ahead for my studying. It has also taught me how to be a leader. This leadership experience was significantly different than my business class groups.

I have made some of my best friends through Wind and Symphony Orchestra. I was also fortunate enough to go to Germany this past summer with Wind Orchestra. I’m glad I joined these ensembles and had these unique experiences.


Below is my favorite piece that I have played in my four years here. Entitled “Stubernic Fantasy,” three percussionists were featured in this high-intensity piece. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment