Saturday, November 1, 2014

Gallery Hopping

I’ll spare you the typical Halloween blog and share with you what I did today. Along with some design students and faculty, I “gallery hopped” on Short North in Columbus. Translation: I visited the art galleries on North High Street in Columbus. This was my first gallery hop and hopefully it won’t be my last!

We started at the Wexner Center for the Arts, which is OSU’s art center. The Wexner family’s personal art collection was on display. Just across the way is the Cartoon Library and Museum. We ventured in and got to see an exhibit of Will Eisner, who was a pioneer of graphic storytelling and comic strips. This was one of my favorite exhibits of the day.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:The_Short_North-2005-07-03-IMG_4556.jpg
After enjoying some gourmet tacos for dinner, we started on our trek down Short North. Short North is chock full of shops, restaurants, bars and, of course, art galleries. I had a great time looking in all of the galleries. A lot of the shops were design-oriented, which made it very difficult not to spend all my money on high quality thank you cards, coffee table books and art supplies. To end the night, we got Jeni’s ice cream, even though it was 35 degrees outside. 

It was great to get out of Ada for a little bit and experience Columbus. I hope that I can go on another gallery hop soon!

2 comments:

  1. Kelly,
    I loved reading about how you got to be a design/art nerd in Columbus this weekend. Even though I will probably never go on a gallery hop I can appreciate how you got excited to see your passions in a real life context. Also, I lived in Columbus for a summer and unfortunately Short North was one place I never got a chance to visit. However, I have been fascinated by Short North ever since and I still really want to go there, especially after hearing more about it in your blog post. Sounds like you had a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, it sounds like you had a wonderful time. I am jealous of your adventure. It seems like it was peaceful and very beneficial. The only art gallery I have been in is the one on campus so I appreciate you sharing your experience and the websites so I could see more of what I have been missing out on. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete