Friday, November 7, 2014

#AlexfromTarget

In case you have been under a rock for the past week, there’s a new Internet meme out there and it’s this picture of a normal Target worker.

This simple picture tweet exploded on social media, mainly Twitter. It now has 407 retweets and 677 favorites (as shown above). The hashtag #AlexfromTarget was trending all day on Monday. By Thursday, he was sitting next to Ellen DeGeneres on her show. Watch the interview here.

Ellen jumped on the #AlexfromTarget bandwagon with these tweets:
Target reacted in real-time with this tweet:


As pictured above, this tweet alone got over 30,000 retweets and 47,000 favorites. Bravo, Target for engaging your followers (and Alex fangirls) in real-time!

In my opinion, I’m pretty confused why #AlexfromTarget took off so quickly. I guess it’s all thanks to the “fangirl environment” on Twitter and other social media. Watching his interview with Ellen, I just thought this situation could really happen to anyone. Anyone with a camera smartphone and Wi-Fi could upload a secretly taken photo of their grocery store bagger on Twitter. This just goes to show how close social media has brought us together, whether we like it or not.  

2 comments:

  1. Kelly,
    I must have been living under a rock, because I had no idea this was such a sensation. I watched the Ellen video, and I died of laughter. I can’t believe how famous this kid became from one secret photo. I’m not sure if this shows the power of beauty, social media or a combination of both. I continue to underestimate the power of social media.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly,
    I think this Alex from Target thing is blown way out of proportion. Ellen wouldn't have Lauren Hill who is terminally ill and got on a Wheaties box and also fulfilled her basketball dream. But she will embrace a normal kid who is just doing his job and working at Target. That should be a PR blog post all on its own. Faith in humanity... gone.

    ReplyDelete