Monday, December 1, 2014

Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

Every year since I can remember, I have watched the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade every Thanksgiving morning. Whether it is by myself, with my brother or my whole family, I always enjoy curling up in my pajamas and watching the show.

As I’ve grown older though, the magic of the parade is slowly going away. Now the balloons are just advertisements for upcoming movies and I can see right through the lip-syncing performers. The parade is also just a big advertisement for Macy’s, with its name EVERYWHERE.

I did, however, enjoy the performances by the Broadway shows. Those are usually my favorite. The show I will see in NYC this month did a performance, so that was fun to get a sneak peek! I also really like the marching bands because I can relate to them and have been in their shoes before (not in the Macy’s parade though).  


Although the magic may be fading, I think I’ll still continue to watch the parade each year.

6 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, I slept through the Macy's Day Parade this Thanksgiving. My favorite part is always watching the Broadway shows perform! What show are you going to see this month? I am also going to New York later this month! Hope you had a great thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My whole family is going to see On the Town and then my mom and I are going to see Kinky Boots! I can't wait to be in New York during Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watch part of the parade every year as well. This year I really liked the song from the Broadway production of "A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder" it was really good and I am interested to see it on Broadway if I can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, the Thanksgiving Macy’s Day Parade is always a highlight of the holiday, but the magic is fading. This year I was especially entertained by how poorly the singers were lip singing. One of the bands even missed his cue to start singing when his music came on. No matter what, I will probably continue to watch every year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always look forward to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, but I will agree with you the magic is fading. It seemed to drag on for way too long and it was unentertaining for the most part. Perhaps, because many of the performers were way younger than me! I still would always love to see the parade in person and not just on the TV one thanksgiving. I hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelly,
    I always enjoy watching the Macy's Parade as well. If I ever get the chance to see it live, I would definitely take it. Even though it isn't quite as exciting watching as watching it as a kid, I still think there is something magical about this parade. My favorite part is when the Radio City Rockettes perform. They do the same routine every year, but to me they embody the essence of the parade as a symbol of New York and a symbol of the holiday!

    ReplyDelete