Monday, October 6, 2014

Learning from the best

Homecoming was this Saturday and it was fantastic! I’ll be telling and showing you more about my day soon, but I wanted to talk about what I did on Sunday. I attended the art & design department Young Alumni Lecture Series. It was held in the Stambaugh Gallery in the Freed Center.

This is an annual event for the art & design department. They invite back recent graduates and have them discuss their process of applying for jobs and grad schools, going through portfolio reviews and give advice to the students that attend. Andrew Adams, Emily Jay and Rachel Pioch were the alumni at this year’s event.

I attended last year but I had to leave early so I did not get the full experience. This year I was able to stay for the whole thing and I am so glad I could!

Andrew works at Orange Barrel Media, a landmark advertising company in Columbus. He talked about his internship in Washington D.C. and the work he does now. Emily is a professor here at ONU and teaches two classes this semester. She talked about applying for grad school, grad school experiences and also her residency in Florence. Rachel works for American Greetings as a packaging designer. She showed us some of the ornament boxes she designed.

They all showed us their portfolios, which was really intriguing. It was cool to see what they have done and how they used the skills they learned at ONU in their jobs. Rachel and Andrew see their work in real life, either in a store or on the side of a building. I can’t wait until my work can be seen in real life!


This event was the perfect way to end my Homecoming weekend. I learned so much just from listening to these recent grads. In a very short time, I will be in their position!

No comments:

Post a Comment