Saturday, October 18, 2014

For the list-maker in all of us

There’s a shiny new social media tool out there all about rankings and lists. It’s called Culturalist and it went into public beta just one month ago.



I found out about this through Broadway.com. It's first ‘conversation’ it created was entitled “Which B-way Stud Should Play Christian in a Stage Version of Moulin Rouge?” Intrigued, I followed its instructions and went to the website. I was greeted to a long page of pictures and gifs of Broadway leading men. I had to select 10 of these men to then rank from one to 10. I could easily switch the order by dragging the name. I published my list so others could see and like my list.

Every so often I find my way back to the site and explore the other lists and conversations people have made. They are sorted into categories, which make it easy to search for your interests. I’ve made lists for the “Best Halloween Candy,” “Best Olympic Poster Designs,” and “Best Movie Soundtracks of All Time.”

Broadway.com has made Culturalist part of their weekly Web show. It sends out a different list every week, then compile the results and share them on their video.

From a social media standpoint, it is easy to share your lists, make lists and create new topics for people to rank. I think this could take off if companies use it like Broadway.com has. It could use it to have customers rate their products or build brand awareness. If people make lists and post them to social, that’s even more awareness of your brand. Companies can listen to these conversations, which we learned was important from “Groundswell.” Brand ambassadors are sure to get involved with these lists as well.

Have we discovered the next shiny social tool?

No comments:

Post a Comment